Monday, November 8, 2010

Shrimp Gumbo

¼ cup sorghum flour
¼ cup tapioca flour
1 tblsp garbanzo bean flour
¼ tsp xanthum gum
½ cup + 1 tblsp of vegetable oil
4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 cups fish stock
2 cups vegetable stock
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp marjoram
1 bay leaf
* cayenne pepper to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb shrimp, washed and deveined with tails removed
handful of fresh cilantro chopped
1 cup sliced scallions
Cooked rice (figure ½ to 1 cup cooked rice per person).

Should serve 4-6.

Add all of the oil to a heavy bottomed pan (I make this in a coated cast iron Dutch oven for its even heat distribution and non-stick qualities). Turn the heat to medium/medium-high and add all of the flours.

Stirring constantly stand over the pan and create a roux. Let the flour brown a bit but be very careful not to burn it. If you burn it even a little throw the entire thing out, wash the pan, and start over.

Once the flour/oil mixture is browned, add the celery, onion, and bell pepper. Stir constantly until some of the rawness is cooked out. Add the fish stock and the vegetable stock. Bring to a low boil.

Add the paprika, thyme, marjoram and bay leaf. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are cooked through and softened. The mixture should be slightly thick, like a bisque would be.

[This is a good stopping point if you want to make this recipe a day ahead. On the day you want to serve it simply reheat this mixture and then add the shrimp. ]

Bring the heat up to a low boil again and add the shrimp. Cook until the shrimp are just done (about 5 minutes).

Serve over rice and offer the chopped cilantro and chopped scallion for sprinkling on top.

* I like my gumbo a bit spicy, but not everyone does. When in doubt leave it out, and then serve some hot sauce on the side. I like good, old-fashioned Tobasco, but another favorite is Cholula hot sauce.

A note about okra:
I also like my gumbo with Okra but almost everyone I know who hasn’t spent any time in the south hates it due to the slime. To me, one of the most delicious things about gumbo is the okra. There are many ways to combat the slime. One is to simply cut the okra and then fry it in oil, making sure to turn it so that is really gets cooked on both sides. You can also dust it in corn flour and fry it that way too. I like to add it right to the gumbo, but so many people are afraid of this vegetable that you could just serve this on the side. People would add a scoop of rice and a scoop of okra to their bowl, and then ladle the shrimp gumbo on top.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to comment on my own post here. I've often times talked about how much I hate garbanzo bean flour. And I do. It tastes terrible and is causes the same kind of gastric issues as do beans. BUT I have added a bit here for the simple reason that the flour will brown. So never say never, eh? There is a small amount here and you can indeed leave it out if you want, but I just can't abide a roux that is weak. There is 1 tblsp in this recipe and as sensitive as I am to the icky taste of garbanzo bean four, even I can't sense it when all is said and done.

    ReplyDelete