Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Thai Inspired Sauce for Simmering or Marinating

This is an amazing little concoction that I modified from some recipe online somewhere…my apologies for not citing it but I didn’t bookmark it and I can’t locate it. I’m not even sure what the original recipe was for; I think I was just looking for something with a Thai flair.

1 healthy tblsp of dried lemongrass
1 tblsp of grated fresh ginger
1 medium sized shallot, finely diced
1 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed
1 handful of fresh cilantro
1 tsp of lime zest
1 tblsp of sugar
2-3 tblsps of fish sauce
pinch of salt
olive oil as needed

Throw everything in a mini prep food processor and give it a whirl until everything is finely chopped. Add olive oil as needed so that the mixture is slightly loose and the dried lemongrass is well hydrated. Done!

I think you can do a lot with this mixture. You could marinate shrimp or scallops in it for example, and then quickly broil them on skewers.

What I did though was add it to a can of coconut milk in a pan on the stove. I simmered it on medium high heat until the coconut milk was well flavored and then added a big fat piece of white fish to it and cooked it until it was just cooked through. I served it over a bed of wild and brown rice, with a side of ginger green beans (I will post this recipe next!).

No comments:

Post a Comment